Wednesday 17 April 2013

Shells


I've been busy on one of my little knits, that I know may provoke the question "why?" Not sure what the answer is. 

I made several attempts to design a spiral shell last year and each time I failed. Eventually I put the idea aside. I had designed a collection of small seaside knits, and a spiral shell seemed to be the main thing missing. So the idea has been niggling away in the back of my mind.


I have spent quite a lot of time looking at various shells in textbooks and online. There are so many different types, but I wanted my shell to be definitely conical and not a flat spiral. So I think you might call this a turret or auger shell, depending on which part of the world you live in. I would love to try and knit a conch shell, but I'm not sure knitting lends itself to all those spikes.

My shells are knitted with two doublepointed needles and short rows, and the shaping makes the knitting fall into a natural spiral. The knitting of the shell is not too tricky, although some people may hate the way I have written the pattern. 155 rows may seem a bit much to produce a tiny shell, but as you are decreasing all the time it does not take as long as you might think. I can knock off a complete shell in an evening. The wool is ordinary 4ply sock wool, and I am now slightly fixated on finding realistic shell shades in multi-coloured sock wool. Well it's a hobby! To find the pattern CLICK HERE!



There is one long seam, and I found it easiest to sew and stuff as you go. And then sewing it into a spiral is done with tiny stitches. The pattern has detailed photographs and instructions explaining how to do this.


Just a reminder of my other sea creature patterns. My recent trip to the seaside gave me the chance take some new photographs, on a real beach.

But if this all seems like too much work then keep an eye on my ETSY SHOP, as I still have a few sets of sea creatures for sale there

Sand Dollars, if you were wondering.
Scallop Shell






Starfish


61 comments:

  1. ooh those are sweet, knitted shells? awesome!! Have a knitty wednesday xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what wonderful shells. They look so life like.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the spiral shell but further more the scallop shell!!
    They are cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely amazing!

    Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW those are all gorgeous! They look so real...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my these are just gorgeous!! I'm going to have to make these for my kids because they love shells and we are always coming home with bucket loads of them when we come back after a weekend at the coast.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is ridiculously clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW! Those shells are simply amazing!!!They look so real!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful.
    You are so clever and creative, I'd never think of knitting a shell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are really clever! And they look really real!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Your shells are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, what stunning shells! All of your knits are wonderful!
    Thanks for posting on Creative Friday
    :)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing job! The shells looks so natural.

    Here's my FO: http://mibruno.com/terminado-darth-vader/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are very creative !! Stopping by from Annemarie's link party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! So unique and beautiful! You are amazingly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! These are amazing! You are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so talented. I couldn't tell the real from the knitted ones. Very unique! Visiting from Madge's Weekly Top Shot. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very creative and beautiful shells and other gems of the sea world ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are adorable! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love these knitted sea shells! Nicely photographed here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have such an admiration for anyone who can do such work. You're obviously very talented and very patient. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was drawing shells this week, and that was tricky enough, so knitting them!
    They're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think they're fab, but I especially love the starfish

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving the shells. It's such a skill to be able to think up patterns. My favourites have to be the starfish - they are super cute!

    Hope you have a good week,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing. Well done.:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, you are so creative.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely all of them, especially the purple/pink starfish!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are lovely. They'd look great framed for a bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love shells, the shapes and colours are lovely, I have some shell paintings I may show soon.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Surely the answer is 'why not?' and the fact that they are completely fabulous and then some! You've certainly cracked it. The first image with the natural brown and sand tones is my favourite, and I do love your starfish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are brilliant, so original and beautifully crafted. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. They are amazing !!!! The starfish is brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. why? well why not!! They look great :) starfish + spiral shell looks great x

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love love love your knitted sea creatures and the new spiral shell is the perfect addition to the collection!

    I think you could do really well with these on Etsy, i will certainly be hearting them when they appear there :) x

    ReplyDelete
  35. They are absolutely beautiful. I thought they were real!! Your knitted shell collection reminds of the sea creatures glass artist Chihuly creates. Wonderful......

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are amazing, so realistic and beautiful. Lovely photography too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. So beautiful, so realistic - well done. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ha! These are brilliant! I have to admit that when I clicked your link on Handmade Monday I didn't realise that the shell was knitted - it looks so realistic in the mix of colours! Clever clogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love those knitted shells. Perfect for us that live so far away from the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The shells are LOVELY!! I know what I might knit my mum an dad.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The brown spiral shell is beautiful, as are the starfish.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Absolutely beautiful! and so clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is brilliant, really life like and well executed :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wonderful designs. How great that you stayed with it!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your shells look very lovely and I love your multicoloured starfish. Pretty soon you'll have a whole knitted beach I think.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love these shells.....especially the spiral one and the starfish.
    The answer to 'Why?' is a resounding and emphatic 'Why not?'
    You are a clever thing.....

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  47. You're amazing! thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh, how beautiful!! I love them. Thank you for sharing on Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  49. So wonderful! I love the realistic colors and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Absolutely amazing work! I also love the starfishes! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete