Tuesday 16 December 2014

Fair Isle Gloves


This is one of my Christmas knits, which I probably shouldn't be showing yet, but I am pretty sure that the recipient isn't a regular viewer of my blog. If she is then hopefully she won't guess and they will still be a nice surprise.

They are knitted from a free pattern on ravelry by Cailyn Meyer called Wintergreen Gloves. Some of her other patterns look lovely, so it may be time for my second ever pair of socks.
 

I knitted on double points, and rather just grabbed some wool from my stash that I thought would look nice together. After the first glove I realised that I might not have enough of the purple colour for the second one, so that knitting was a bit stressful. But in the end it worked out that I did have enough, but only just. I love fair isle knitting, as the end result is so pretty, but there were a lot of end to run in. The good thing was that they are knitted in the round so no sewing up.

The pattern was really easy to follow, with instructions and charts. Although I did think I might have to enlarge the chart on a photocopier. That isn't a criticism though, just a reflection on my eyesight. The pink wool I used was a bit thicker and fluffier than the others, which I think is why those lines have puckered a bit. I knew I shouldn't be using it, but I thought the colour was great so just went with it.


24 comments:

  1. Lovely gloves, great choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have mitten envy. They are beautiful and the pink yarn looks fab.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. how lovely! wish i could knit fair isle.... whoever will receive these will love them :) well done x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! The colors all work really well together - isn't it great when you can use yarn from your stash and make something so pretty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are absolutely gorgeous! I haven't attempted colorwork ever, but man it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful gloves :)
    The recipient will be thrilled!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so pretty. And I love that you knitted them from stash yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're lovely, brilliant use of stash yarn. The colours work together really nicely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto: Lovely mittens, the recipient is sure to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so pretty! I love the colors and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!! Reminds me I have a pair of mittens I need to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the half mittens, thank you for sharing.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh! These are lovely. The recipient is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great color choise, beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're so beautiful! I love the colours. The recipient is so, so, so Łucku :) wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the pattern and the colours, they look so warm and cosy :)
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soooo gorgeous! One of my absolute fav colour combos, i couldn't have resisted using the pink either, it works so well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pink - definitely worth popping it in and no one but you can see any puckering worth worrying about!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are beautiful! I love the pop of the pink colored yarn you used. It's stressful isn't it, knitting along and not knowing if you'll have enough yarn but alas you did! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the colors in this. I think you did a wonderful job with the fair isle knitting, and the pucker adds character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic!! I love the patterns! I'm sure she will love them! I know I would xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I'm sure they were well received :) x

    ReplyDelete