Sunday 1 March 2015

London Routemaster Bus


Finally, my new pattern is done. This really has been a labour of love. I have spent so much time thinking about buses, looking at vintage routemaster buses, and writing up the pattern that I am probably going to do something fairly simple and from someoneelse's pattern for my next knit. 


I had the idea to knit a vintage London bus after my trip at the end of last summer to a Vintage Bus Rally, as well as a school visit to the London Transport Museum. But even more so than ever, the details had to be just right. The windows and doorways had to be as close to the original as I could get. These buses can still be seen in London, but have mostly been replaced by the modern version. It also had to have the little platform at the back, so you could naughtily stand holding on to the pole and jump on or off between stops.


You will see that I have knitted two buses. One was the my prototype, but then I always feel I must test my pattern out a few times. (I will probably knit another soon, but at the moment I am completely bused out.) The No 9 was my regular bus to work, when I lived in Hammersmith and worked near The Aldwych. I spent a lot of time on the No 9, reading a book or gazing dreamily at Hyde Park or the shops in Kensington High Street. So that one is for me, and the other was meant to remind my husband of his route to work when he first came to London, from Kensal Green to Aldwych on the No 6.
 

The pattern is available on ravelry, Craftsy and Etsy. I have to say this is not a knit for the faint-hearted. The pattern is eleven pages long. Only attempt it if you really like colourwork. There are charts for the side panels and back and front sections, which I think are fairly easy to follow. I have also written out fully the details for each row, though I think if you fairly experienced you could just work from the charts.

 
I have left the advertising panels at the sides blank. I was very tempted to embroider the words Ginx Craft, but these buses are chugging off to my Etsy shop with the offer that I will embroider on whatever the buyer wishes. So here for now are a few more photos of my London buses.
 





42 comments:

  1. Wow, you really worked hard on this. I love the little details, like the windscreen wipers. What an amazing knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're amazing! I am the world's slowest knitter but I might have to make some for my my bus mad little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The buses look amazing. I hope you're not dreaming about them. It sounds like this has really been a labour of love. Have a lovely week.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a work of art. An amazing amount of work must have gone into this, but it is definitely worthwhile. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are incredible! You are so talented. I can really appreciate the time you put into them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is a work of art and must have taken ages

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always amaze me with the projects and patterns you create, I love the details on the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, these really are a work of art, i admire your patience and skill adding all the little details. I love the final picture of the two busses together! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the lovely message that you left on my post. The first one ive had in over a year. iwas delighted to see it!
    This pattern is totally mad but really gorgeous. My daughter squealed in delight when she saw it and immediately asked for one, sadly though I'm really bad at colour work. :( Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crikey - the patience. You must have worked so hard to not only knit them but to write a pattern too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius, this must take some concentration. So very clever. Popping by from Handmade Monday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic !!! I know a wee man in Scotland who would be smitten with it 😄

    ReplyDelete
  13. What talent you have! The London Routemaster Bus is just great. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute bus! I wish i knew how to knit (I crochet). Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeek! A London Bus knit! That is so amazingly detailed! Whats the actual size on that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous work! This bus is amazing, can't belive that it can be knitted something like this!

    House cleaning Ealing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your work is amazing. I can't imagine how much work your buses would take.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am awed by your creativity. Love the bus totally!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! You have truly captured the vintage look....thanks for sharing, and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read that London was getting rid of the double decker bus AND the red telephone booths! Sacrilege! I hope this is not true. Beautiful work from you, as always, and so well thought out.

    Best,
    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2015/02/chocolate-box-reinvent-and-make-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your work is absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is lovely! So cute. Never thought you one can knit a bus. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the compliment on my felt bracelet.
    I love your patterns, especially the toys. Such amazing detail!
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your talent and creativity amaze me. What a treasure you've created! I'm in awe.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  25. How cute is that!? I can hardly knit and purl... Thank you for coming by sharing your creative photography on the Weekly Top Shot, #168!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your bus! We are going to London next month, really look forward to riding the double deckers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is really cute! I've been meaning to learn how to sew, but I just never seem to have the time. I'll have to eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your buses are incredible! So detailed! I remember seeing them on television when growing up and also on a visit to London. What a marvelous project you picked. No wonder it took you long to do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome job! I always enjoy seeing the different things that you knit. I hope you do well with them on your Etsy store.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  30. You could make a purple one like the one in the Harry Potter movie (The Knight Bus). It would probably sell like hotcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness, this is so cool! I love how you've managed to represent every little detail in wool!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, just wow, I love this bus!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous and brilliant all at once♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/palmed-orb/

    ReplyDelete
  34. This little bus is so neat! I think the fact that it is knitted makes it all the more better. While I crochet and could work up something similar, I think the texture and such provided by the knitting is really what gives this bus the bases for it's character and look.
    Thank you for sharing with us at the Yarn Fanatic Linky Party, and I hope you'll come back to party with us soon!
    #27 is live - http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/03/yarn-fanatic-linky-party-27.html.
    I will also be sharing this on Facebook tomorrow.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this and I vote for the embroidery of your name.

    ReplyDelete