Thursday 7 January 2016

Sock Buddies


I have finished my second ever pair of socks!  (Ok it is 2 years since the last pair, so perhaps I shouldn't be quite so full of myself.) I can see why some people get hooked on sock knitting, as there is something so pleasing about turning the heel.

This was my "Christmas car journey" knitting. I do really find car knitting relaxing, and our journey back from Devon on a very stormy day, did mean I needed something to keep me calm. But car knitting has to be from a pattern, and also something not too fancy, so I can manage in darkness too.


So I thought I would have a go at these children's socks from Knits for Fab Feet and Cosy Toes by Anna Tilman, which I have photographed at the bottom of this page. What is great about the sock patterns in this book is that they come in a range of sizes. These were knitted on four needles. I didn't use the recommended wool, but some Sirdar Snuggly Double Knitting wool, which as you can see turned out great for size, and I really like the slightly unusual colour.
 


The pattern is called Sock Buddies, because of the little bears in the pockets. I didn't  quite follow the bear section of the pattern, but sort of improvised them. These socks are for my daughter (those are her legs!), who did not think she was too old at 13 to have teddies in pockets on her socks. I did suggest she could keep her asthma inhaler in one of the pockets, which didn't go down very well!




There are lots of other lovely patterns in this book, so I think it might be time to knit some socks for myself next.

36 comments:

  1. Fabulous socks. The little teddies are so cute. I think I might be tempted to keep some sweets in mine, if I had pockets in my socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are sooo cute, you're never to old to have teddies in your socks :)
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh! to sock knitting. This is a very cute pair. My 13 year old would totally agree with your daughter. Never too old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, So cute !!!!! Love them !!!!
    Have a nice and cosy weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable stocks! What a genius idea!
    Wishing you a year full of creativity and fun projects!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these warm and wonderful socks. The pockets are a clever touch. Always nice to have a little friend or two with you.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/01/on-yoga-mat.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute creation. Kids will love these. :)
    happy new year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I'm envious of people who knit, love the socks, they
    are really cute. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! I like the color, too! Those would be cheery and cozy socks to own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute ! I bet they are lovely and toasty warm as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really sweet, and amazing that you could knit in the dark, I also try grab something to crochet on road trips, but other times if we haven't been out for a while I realize that just looking out the window is also good! Thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday, great to reconnect in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those socks are adorable! If I didn't already have to many hobbies (crocheting, quilting, sewing for my granddaughter, etc.) I'd start knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm an old sock knitter whose fingers don't grip needles well anymore so I've missed seeing the patterns with pockets on the side. I absolutely love them! So creative and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness...those are ADORABLE! And I admire anyone who can knit socks...I can knit scarves and afghans and that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just stumbled across your blog and your knits are amazing! I have crocheted some socks - they have no heel - a bit of a cheat! See you again soon...

    ReplyDelete
  16. awwwww they are soooooooo cute x

    ReplyDelete
  17. These ar just too cute, love them

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cute what a great idea, Teds in socks, thanks for linking. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely idea! Great socks too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh those are so cute! I knit a lot of the samples for that book (including the penguins which are awesome) but not the teddy socks - I do remember how much we all cooed over them when they were passed around the group though - a lovely finish and thirteen is definitely not too old for teddies down your socks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awe how adorable! These are so cute, bet my grandkids would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Over the top cuteness!!! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love knitting socks, and they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These socks are amazing!! I've never seen socks with either a pocket or bear before :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so lovely, I'm not surprised your daughter didn't want to replace the teddies with her inhaler! I have only ever finished one pair of socks so I definitely admire these :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that pattern, it's so cute! I'm much older than your daughter and I'd love a pair for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's such a funny idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are adorable! Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are so stinkin cute! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is my favourite book of sock patterns! I've always been a bit dubious about this particular pattern but you did an amazing job and I might think about it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just about to start on another pair of socks from this book. Got the wool and ready to go.

      Delete
  31. They look really gorgeous and snuggly, I'm sure they're very popular.

    ReplyDelete