Sunday 23 July 2017

Baby Conker

I've made this conker and shell for a lady to give as a gift to her new granddaughter, whose pre-birth name is Conker. Did any of you have a pre-birth name for your babies? 


My husband and I used to refer to our son as Nobby (after Nobby Styles, the famous footballer), and then for a while as Clovis - just because we thought it was possibly our least favourite name in our book of potential names. (Apologies to anyone called Clovis out there.) But never anything as cute or apt as Conker. Our second baby was very briefly called "Baby Bee" after she was born, before we had settled on her actual name. She was our second, so "B-baby", and she had a cute little striped suit that made here look a bit like a bumblebee.

I would love to hear your babies' pre-birth or nicknames.


If you want to make your own conker the pattern is available on Craftsy, ravelry, LoveKnitting and Etsy, or if you would like me to make one for you, it can be ordered on Etsy.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh that's lovely! When I saw the first picture I never guessed there'd be a little conker inside! My babies didn't have nicknames, just numbers until we decided on names xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, can see the outside being used for a gift or engagement ring in the autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute!!
    I was called Floss / Flossie until I got my real name. I think it was after my Great Grandmother who was called Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do! I personally hate saying 'baby' or 'the baby' so we've had names for each of our wombkins. Makes it extra fun, too. ;-) We've had a Boo, Peanut, Bunkin, Smooch and a Tiddle. Clever little Conker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have any names for my babies, but if I had conker would be gorgeous and your conker is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute, I love the idea! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute, I love that the conker in the middle comes out. Is that bit the conker? I'm thinking it must be, conker fights are with that brown bit not the green spikey shell (though now I'm thinking that would be pretty cool!)
    My babies were all just called 'The baby', not very original I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute conker! You create such beautiful and clever things!
    We called our son "Wolfgang Otto" before he was born. It started as a way to tease my husband's grandmother about giving her newest great-grandson a Germanic-sounding name to go along with our last name. No, we didn't really give him that name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooops! I forgot to include the link to my blog!
    My Saturday Snapshot post features Lake Crescent, Olympic National Park.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure what a conker is, but that is cute. We had decided on our kids' names pretty early, so we just called them by their names before they were born.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! I don't remember if we had a pre-birth name for ours or not, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete