Thursday 11 January 2018

Direwolf Socks (learning by my mistakes)


There is only one member of my family now that I have not knitted socks for - my son. So I decided to give this a go, as part of my Christmas car knitting. I like to have some knitting to do on our travels at this time of year. 

He really likes "Game of Thrones", and it would be nice to knit him something related to that. There is a pattern on ravelry for a Game of Thrones blanket, and although I have thought about making that for him, it would probably mean I would have to devote a year to it and nothing else...

But I found a really nice pattern for some Direwolf Mittens by Carly Hill, but he is not really a mitten-type of person. (He is a bit like his Dad, who seems to think that real men don't need gloves, however cold!) So I thought I would use the direwolf motif from this pattern, but on a fairly standard sock pattern.  I used Favourite Socks by Voolenvine.

Mistake Number One. I pretty soon worked out that I could not just knit the direwolf motif, as I was knitting in the round. But that was a problem I could overcome, and so I decided I would have to also include the background pattern to get the wool to go the whole way round. (The only other way I suppose would be to find a sock pattern that is knitted flat, with a seam. Does such a thing exist?) I decided to have a patterned section, and knit the rest of the sock plain, but with an alternative colour for the ribbing, heel, and toe.


Mistake Number Two - Just don't try knitting from a chart in the car. I tried all sort of techniques: pinning the chart to the dashboard. But the car movement and my eyesight just made it impossible, so I had to be satisfied with just doing the plain sections on the road. I hasten to say that I am a passenger, not driving.

Blocking on my homemade cardboard feet

So all seemed fine. I thought if I knitted the largest size of sock it would all work out. Mistake Number Three. The first sock was nearly done, and I thought I would get my son to do a try on, to make sure it was the right foot length. But my poor son was a bit like an ugly sister trying to get into the glass slipper. Because of my patterned section, it was just too tight to fit him. 

Good news! - They fit me (Miss Cinderella) perfectly. 

Mistake Number Four. The next thing I realised was that although I had planned to have the direwolves facing in different directions, I had placed their faces fairly near the front of the socks. I think it would have been better to have put them slightly further to the sides, but too late for that now ....


I am still determined to make him some Direwolf socks. (He tells me that grey and white would be more House of Stark.) I think perhaps the best way is to incorporate the motif into a seamed sock. A seam on the foot might be uncomfortable though, but I wondered if I could knit the foot section in the round, and the leg bit flat with a seam. I would welcome any advice. Have you knitted any socks with a motif on the leg, or a flat-knitted seamed sock? Does anyone know of any patterns with the foot in-the-round and the leg seamed?

There are still plenty of days left in January to join my new monthly Ginx Yarn Linx party and share your woolly projects. There is a link to it in at the top of the righthand column.

13 comments:

  1. I am a vicarious knitter, meaning, I don't knit at all, but I like to look at things other people knit. I marvel at their beauty, and think, "One day..." My suggestion, therefore, is from completely outside the realm of the knowledgeable knitter. What if you knit a sock from your favorite pattern, and knitted the direwolf pattern as a design in a flat, rectangular piece. Then, affix it as a cuff, sewn in place at the top of the socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. designs by clients are not always the easiest to understand. Fortunately there are solutions to help you create designs that manufacturers can read, so you get the socks that you want. custom logo dress socks

      Delete
  2. Maybe you could swiss darn the pettern to a plain sock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good idea. I have never done swiss darning, but I like embroidering on knitting. I could position the wolf exactly where I want it too.

      Delete
  3. I bet he loves them. Cool background idea. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a massive GoT fan so I'm thinking despite all the issues you had these are the coolest socks EVER! They would be more House Stark in grey and black though, I'm sure with your mad knitting skills the next pair will be ever better. I can't wait to see them!! (I'm now humming the theme tune in my head!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how they turned out and the Stark logo is brilliant, well done on working it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think knitting the foot in the round then the leg flat is a perfect solution for the next pair. That pair, however, look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can definitely knit the leg flat then mattress stitch it and knit the foot in the round - it's how the Pirate Arrgyles socks are made ( http://www.juliafarwellclay.com/designs/hands-feet/argyle-socks-graph/ ) - I don't know whether the pattern for those specific socks is still available but I've made them so I know it works, just remember you need two extra stitches in the bit worked flat which will be absorbed by the mattress stitch join (you'll need to cast off those two stitches on your final row). I love these socks and I'm looking forward to seeing the next iteration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice. I will check out that pattern.

      Delete
  8. If you didn't list all your mistakes I probably wouldn't have noticed. The socks still look amazing to me! I have no advice, as I've never knitted socks before. Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great socks they look fabulous to me. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandson loves wolves and would love these socks.

    ReplyDelete