Saturday 10 March 2018

Random Socks


Having done a bit of research into patterns for vertically striped socks, I did actually find a pattern that looks really interesting. But the fickle nature of teenagers, meant that my daughter had now changed her mind and decided that she would like horizontal stripes. Phew! But the socks had to be "random".


Hmmm .... so just a bit of a mix of colours? NO, they had to be totally random, random width of stripes, random choice of colours, and each sock had to be totally unique. So, can I at the least make the cuffs, heels and toes match, so they at least look like a pair of socks? NO. Random


Why did I find this so difficult to do? I am not a particularly tidy person, but now I think about it I was the sort of child you would arrange her colouring crayons in a pleasing order in the tin. When I was a teaching assistant, and had to wash coloured plastic cups every morning, I would always take them back to class stacked in a pleasing rainbow effect. 

So I did really try to be "random" with these socks. But a little bit of order crept its way in, as I did stick to the same colours for the second sock, and you might notice that I also matched the width of the stripes. Hoping daughter won't notice. 


I wouldn't particularly recommend knitting socks like this, as there were far too many ends to run in. But I am going to have a go at the vertical sock pattern for myself, and I will find a nice self-stripe wool for them.

https://ginxcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/ginx-woolly-linx-party-march.html

Just a reminder that we are getting through March but there is still time left to join in my Ginx Woolly Linx party. Click on the photo above or at the top of the page to find the party. I would love to see what you have been working on this month.





14 comments:

  1. They are great! Just showed to my eldest DD as would love to knit her something - anything! Here's hoping she msy be persuaded by the above socks. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! the more random the better I think but yes the problem with stripes is the weaving in of ends such a pain. Have a great weekend. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... great socks !!!! and the pleasant part is.. if 1 is lost or worn out.. u can add another one without troubles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful, despite/because of their randomness.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/03/cooking-with-nonna-part-two-nonnas.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bright colors and random stripes. As a quilter, I'm always looking for ways to use leftover scraps of fabric. Did you use scraps of yarn for these socks? Your daughter may start a new fad at her school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they are lovely socks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow they are fantastic and well done to the model

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand your problem, it would make me crazy, too!! But your finished socks turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter would love randomly striped socks too. I just can't do that on socks for me. I have to match the stripes :) What is it with kids and not matching?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bright colors! Nicely done.

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good thing your daughter changed her mind before you got started! These are actually really lovely, I love the idea of random odd socks, very quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look like rainbows, really cool. My daughter would love to have a few of those. Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete