Sunday 16 May 2021

Garden Diary May (and Archaeology)

My garden diary this month is all based on news and photos from my husband, as I am in London. I just thought I would start off with this lovely photo of the apple trees in blossom. It all looks so green and lush.

These are some of the seedlings that I planted at Easter. Tomatoes, sunflowers, cucumber and peas. They all seem to be coming along okay.

Also the broadbeans seeds that I planted direct into the garden are doing well, and the strawberry plants. I can't wait to get there at half term to do a bit of weeding.

Also here is the tayberry, but mainly for the assistant gardener.

And a view of the tree tubes, which now seem to be getting enough rain.

Our other exciting news is that the archaeologist, who visited last year, has returned. Some more surveying was done. The map shows a structure, mainly northeast of the road, which is not our field but the next farm. But they decided to dig where the dark spot is, thinking it might be a large metal object or a fire pit. The biggest find in the test pit was this section of a quern stone, but the archaeologists have been returning each week, and dug further. They have found pottery and charcoal, which has gone off to Truro to be analysised. It is thought it might be late Iron Age. I also like the photo with the archaeologists, with the now assistant archaeologist. She probably is hoping they will find bones.

Still lots of time to join in Ginx Woolly Linx Party for May.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your garden! And those apple trees: so lovely! I just started my own vegetable garden for the first time and am so curious what and when I can harvest.

    Good luck with your garden!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really exciting just to have archaeologist visiting!

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete