Saturday 6 September 2014

Dartmoor


I seem to have so much new to write about at the moment, but here is the last of my holiday posts. We drove across Dartmoor near the end of our holiday in North Devon, on our way to visit Granny, who lives in South Devon. It really is beautiful, although I am not sure that the photograph above is large enough to really show how great the views are.


My daughter is still not too old to bring a cuddly toy on holiday, and Clopper was really excited to meet a real Dartmoor pony. Highlight of his holiday. These ponies live wild on the moor, but are very friendly.


The granite outcrops of rocks are called tors, and there is a tradition to hide letterboxes on them. These boxes contain an inkpad and a stamp, so we had great fun hunting around the crevices in the rocks until we found one.


Heading down from the tor I managed to catch one of those increasingly rare moments when my children were getting on.

12 comments:

  1. I've only ever been to Devon once, and that was ages and ages ago. The scenery is stunning.
    The picture of your children together is lovely, every mother's wish is for their children to be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!!! The letterboxes sound like fun. I posted a scavenger hunt in my post today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely images, and what a wonderful adventure exploring the letterboxes. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful. And the letter boxes sound like such fun! I would love to spend time in this tranquil and scenic area. Looks like you and your family had a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning I love this corner of Devon, thanks for sharing, aww great to see you're kids together

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dartmoor is lovely, we've had some great walks there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos. Sounds like you had a fun time. Thanks for sharing.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another part of the world I would love to visit. My bucket list of vacation spots grows and grows as I see all the places where my blogging friends live. Glad you had a wonderful time, and as your children grow older they will become great friends. At least, that is how it worked with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the rock formations - very rugged and majestic. This post could also count as a British Isles post on Joy's Book Blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! What fun for the stuffed pony to meet the real pony. Thanks, Brona, for getting Ginx to share these on British Isles Friday!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Dartmoor (I grew up in South Devon); it's got such huge skies you feel like you can really stretch out and reach for the horizon! These are gorgeous photos and a lovely moment captured between your two :)

    ReplyDelete