Wednesday 19 August 2015

My Crochet Diary


I usually see my summer holiday as a great opportunity for, yes you've guessed it, knitting. But this year the special holiday request from hubby was "no knitting". I guess a vacation is meant to be a break from the norm, so was I cheating when I agreed to the no knitting, but decided to use this time to try my long talked about ambition to teach myself to crochet.

So I rather proudly present my first ever piece of crochet. Now I think I may be feeling a bit like the kids in my knitting club when they have completed their first bit of knitting. I am going to try and do a series of posts on my attempts to learn to crochet, so you might want to follow my progress.

I would really appreciate any advice from experienced crochetters (is that even a word). Easy patterns, or books that I can understand would be useful. These are the only books I have. The two books are both fairly old - I think my mum gave them to me. I look at the amazing variety of stitches, but I think I need a much more basic book with some practical projects, as these are just a bit overwhelming.



So I started by borrowing my daughter's Cath Kidson's kit. It's aimed at kids, so surely it can't be too hard, I thought, but soon realised that the instructions to make a granny square cushion were way beyond me. So thinking of how I teach knitters, I decided to just make a square, and think I have learned the doublechain and treblechain. Although even that is a bit confusing, as there seems to be a half treble chain, double treble and treble treble!!! After a bit I did find it quite relaxing, and got into a bit of a rhythm. There are a few mistakes, and the things I found difficult is to judge where to put the hook in, and also turning at the edge of each row. (In knitting it is really obvious if you have gone wrong as you can just do a stitch count.) I got a bit fancy at the end and had a go at a scallop edge, which I think would have worked if I had had a longer edge and could have kept going. 

What I think I am doing wrong is that I am thinking like a knitter, so I felt fairly happy to crochet with rows going back and forth. But I want to make some of those cute amigurumi that I see, and for that I think I need to go in a circle. The other thing I find confusing are the patterns I have seen that are diagrams. Beautiful series of squiggles and shapes, but no idea at all how I would follow one.

This was my only attempt at a little circle. I was just going in each stitch twice. Seemed to work, and I think I have made a little hat.


I just can't decide who it looks best on ....



That is all for now ... but there will be another crochet post soon. As I said I would really welcome any pointers to easy patterns or books that have some very easy projects to try.

27 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the little hats. :) Even though, you know, they're not hats, per se. Still super cute!
    I feel the same way when I'm knitting. I read "beginner" knitting books and it just goes way over my head! I'm trying to learn to purl now and it's slow going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crochet was a bit tough for me at first. It is easier if you watch you tube videos or find someone that will give you a lesson each week. A friend and I have a small group that meets once a week and a girls helps us with our projects. It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend YouTube videos as a great way to start. With these you can see exactly where to insert your hook. It's a good idea to make yourself familiar with the anatomy of the different stitches. Once you've mastered the basic stitches you'll be off and running. But a word of caution, American pattern use different terms for their stitches to English patterns, so it can become a bit confusing. Good luck and keep persevering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand what you are saying about thinking like a knitter, but I am the reverse. I am a self-taught 40 year crocheter who has trouble with knitting because I think crochet. I wish I had a book to recommend, but I would suggest going to the library and seeing what you can find. Most crochet books use the basic single and double crochet stitches as well as chain stitch. What I like about crochet is that I don't have to worry about dropping stitches. It is easiest to start with a baby blanket or pillow and move on from there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was very enjoyable to me as a creative person.Hearing how others learn their craft, struggle with it, and then make those small steps towards great accomplishments is always of interest. I look forward to hearing about your journey.

    Unfortunately, I don't crochet or knit and so can't offer any advice. Both skills are beyond me. Instead I can just admire. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a new trend in Sylvanian Family hats ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hat! I just can't get into crochet, people who can do it, make it look easy, but I can't make it look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I've been crocheting 40 plus years. You need to learn the basics of crocheting.
    I've found a book at Amazon that might help you out. Here is the link to that book.

    http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Ultimate-Beginner-Advanced-Crocheter/dp/156477998X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440251676&sr=1-2&keywords=basic+crochet+stitches

    Hope this helps. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to crochet a lot when I was young, mostly edgings on pillowcases, etc. But it has been years, so I think I forgot most of the little bit I knew!

    Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great new project! I knew how to make granny squares, once upon a time. I had my granny on hand to teach me, though, and that's always easier than a book!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only ever crocheted one thing, an afghan. It is one huge granny square.

    Good luck with your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're such an amazing knitter I'm sure you'll pick up crochet readily, even though it does seem a new world. That hat you made is darling- I like it on the first one best. Somehow the crocheted rug I made as a child of the 70s has still survived, and I still have it- I get it out sometimes and use it. I enjoy just looking at it, I can't imagine making it now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried to teach myself to crochet a couple of years ago, but decided it wasn't for me. I'll stick to my great love - cross stitching.
    Good luck with your new endeavours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so sweet, and so glad you're giving crochet a try......it is really so much simpler than knitting and all the complicated stuff you do, so just don't over think it and I'm sure you'll be an expert in no time. take a look at my crochet category for lots of inspiration, and just googld simple crochet and you'll get more than enough to get you started.
    And by the way, it looks like on your little hat that you only crocheted through the front loop of each stitch, generally one crochets through both loops, or that you were doing a slip stitch instead of a single crochet.....oh and I do hope you realize that American and british crochet terms are not the same! all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry little mouse, but I think the hat definitely looks best on the meerkat (?)! These look very neat for first attempts, all the stitches are really even! I hope you have fun learning, looking forward to seeing more of your creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keep going, it will all suddenly 'click' honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done you for attempting something new, i've a feeling you'll be a dab hand in no time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. People often make hats instead of flat circles! The trick is to increase the increasing with each round! There is a beanie tutorial on my website which explains it. http://patchworkfairy.com/crochet-beanie/ I first st learned over 40 years ago but when I took it up again a couple years ago I sat with lap top on my knee wTching you tube videos! It really helped. Also the Attic 24 blog has some very good pictorial tutorials to follow to make things. I love it more than knitting now so sure you will enjoy it as you progress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to you for teaching yourself to crochet! I think it looks great what you have accomplished. I taught myself 40 years ago with a little 25 cent book from Coats and Clark. It's fun to crochet in the round and you soon will know where the row ends. There are lots of fun things to make out there today, Unlike 40 years ago when it was really a hobby for my Grandma's era. I'm excited to see what else you will create. You've done a great job. My best to you, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That hat is just so cite. You are doing well with your crochet, something I have not yet mastered.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your husbands comment on knitting brought a grin to my face, I can't go on holiday without knitting!! What a great idea to take crochet instead... Perhaps I should follow your lead next time we are away!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm dying to learn to crochet. I keep picking it up and trying and putting it down an forgetting everything I just learned. But you've been making stuff for the Sylvannians, which would certainly make my kids excited. Maybe I'll try again!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome to Crochet! I love it and take it everywhere with me. Every morning before work after the 'what will i wear today' question is the 'what crochet will i take today' question. Nothing beats sitting down with a friend who crochets to help you as a beginner. But failing that I echo the other comments above that there is a wealth of YouTube videos that are great for learning. Crochet is so versatile with all the stitches you can use. If you were down here in Melbourne Australia I'd happily come over and crochet with you! Xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome crocheter! I am so happy that another person has joined our wonderful world! At the very start I used a combination of this: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/supplyimages/wf1002/how-to-crochet.pdf and youtube videos. Just don't get confused between UK and US terminology. Happy hooking. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Granny squares, they are definitely the way to go for beginners. I thought a colleague to crochet last summer (even though I'm NO sort of expert) and got her started on Granny squares. She's made a couple of baby blankets and loads of hats - I'm very proud of her!
    Oh and watch the whole US and UK stitch names, as they are not the same and if you get patterns from the internet you really do need to know which version they are or the results can be a bit unexpected (don't ask how I know!)
    Good;luck and stick with it, crochet is SO much quicker than knitting so it's really nice to be able to do both.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just cannot get the hang of crochet - I get so muddled, it looks like you're doing well though, Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  27. They both look cute in the little hat. :-) Thanks for sharing at the Submarine Sunday Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete