Saturday 29 April 2017

"If in April"


If in April


If in April snow still lies upon the ground
With icy patches on the path,
You slip and bruise your knee
But still can struggle up and say
"I know that Spring is on the way".
Then you've got guts, my dear.

And if a gale has roared for days
And all your shrubs have been uprooted
And half the fence has blown away,
So last year's gardening was all in vain,
Yet you can say "I'll start again".
Then you have pluck, my dear.

And if the rain is pouring down
And your garden's one gigantic puddle
With all your seedlings washed away,
But you can calmly say
"I'll have to sow again".
Then you are brave, my dear.

But if in April, inbetween the showers
You see a patch of bright blue sky
And smell the scent of newly opened flowers
And see the shoots are breaking on the bough
It's then I know that you will say
"Spring at last is here to stay".

Peggy Watkins (1920-2017)



12 comments:

  1. I have been dithering about whether to put this on my blog. But with only a few days of April left, and the way the weather has been the last few day, I thought I would. My mother died in February this year, and we found this when going through her papers. She wrote it back in the 1980s, and in fact I had typed it up for her, but then forgotten about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Thank you for sharing it with us ~ I very much enjoyed your mother's poem. Your images are a great complement to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother's poem is a treasure! Thanks for sharing...and I love the photos that remind us of the beauty of nature. I especially love daffodils.

    Here are MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOTS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post... both the photos and your mother's poetry. Thank you for sharing.
    My Saturday Snapshot post features the Chittenden Locks, Ballard, Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading the poem, especially after showing my Saturday Snapshot. Apropos! Then to discover your mother wrote it. It's is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the poetry as well- and your images are such a great pairing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful poem. So sorry for your loss of your mum earlier this year - it looks like she was as creative and imaginative as you are!
    #handmadeMonday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely poem and I love the primroses too xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful poem and your images are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful view and love the poem

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful poem, we all know those Springs when the better weather takes it's time to arrive. our mum was very talented, what a precious thing to have of hers. Your photos are gorgeous. Send lots of love to you all, it's a tough time. x

    ReplyDelete