Saturday 14 July 2018

Chocolate Labrador


I know if you follow me you might be thinking "Why a chocolate lab, and not a black one?" Simple answer, I hadn't enough black wool, but plenty of brown.  I was flicking through ravelry, looking at the other patterns that someone who had liked one of my patterns had also liked. Does anyone else do this? It sounds a bit creepy, "a knitting pattern stalker", but I often find it a good way to find patterns I like. So I came upon this pattern Rufus the Lab Puppy by Dyah Dyanita, and I thought I would give it a go.


For me this pattern was interesting, as all the pieces except for the ears were knitting in the round. Although I do knit in the round, it is usually only for socks or hats, and in my own designs I tend to knit flat and have lots of seams to sew. All the curves and shaping in this pattern were done by turning mid-row, a technique I use a lot. I can't cope with circular needles so used doublepoints, which made the legs and tails a bit of a fiddle, but this was mainly because my needles were just too long.
 
The hardest thing I found was to attach the legs and tail in quite the right place. 

The tricky thing now is keeping this little lab away from my real labrador. She destroys all her toys in a moment or two. 


https://ginxcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/ginx-woolly-linx-party-march.html

Just a reminder that my Ginx Woolly Linx party for July is now running. Click on the photo above or at the top of the page to find the party. I would love to see what you have been working on this month.

8 comments:

  1. I always admire your pieces! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your weekend.

    Here are MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOTS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Your method of finding patterns you'll like is similar to the way I find new books. It works pretty well.
    Today's Saturday Snapshot post features my ”Crystal Mountain Gondola ride”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks really good! Although I don't sew or knit, I understand your point about the legs and tail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just adorable. I can't even imagine how fiddly the tail would be with long double ended needles. What a good thing the pieces are small and don't take too long! Worth it, he is super cute. Does he have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chocolate knitted lab is adorable. Hope your 'real' labrador plays nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little pup! I am a big fan of chocolate labs, or labs in general I guess - wonderful dogs!
    Interesting that this stuffed toy was working in the round, but I am sure it was much less time consuming that working up all the pieces, and sewing everything together. In my designs, and when choosing other designs to work up, I try my best to stick to one piece projects. With too many pieces, I may never finish...::sighs::...

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dog! Chocolate is far more attractive than black :) And what a great collection of crochet vehicles you have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, how cute is he? My kids would love one of those. Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned

    ReplyDelete