Thursday 4 March 2021

Applewood Buttons


There is a saying that is "necessity is the mother of invention". And this is truly the case with my Applewood Buttons. Shops are shut, and I tried to mail order some buttons for the cardigans I have made. They were lovely, but not quite right, so the only solutions seemed to be to make some rustic buttons.

There are some apple branches that have been sitting in the barn seaonsing since last year. I have to admit that my husband had to saw the wooden disks, and drill the holes, but I did a lot of sanding and oiling. My husband keeps suggesting that I varnish them, but I have left them simply oiled with linseed oil.

These buttons are what is called "live edge", which means they have the original bark on them. The air is pretty clean down here in Cornwall, so you might even find the odd bit of lichen.

Each button is approximately 2cm in diameter, and 0.5 cm deep. And they are for sale in my Etsy shop in sets of four, six or eight. But if anyone would like more or less buttons I will give an individual price.

 

Each button is unique, so if you want a standard factory produced button, these are not for you. But if you are looking for a natural button made from an interesting type of hardwearing wood, I think you will love these.

I am slightly obsessed with keeping as much plastic as possible out of the environment. Any rubbish upsets me, but particularly plastic - as you know it could sit there for years and get into the food chain. So although these buttons should last for years, you can feel assured that you are not adding any more plastic to the environment.

There are still other branches left to work with, so I may have a go at making some larger buttons, or perhaps toggles. I love a toggle on a garment. 


 

Just a reminder that there is still loads of time join in my Ginx Woolly Linx party for March. I would love to see what you have been working on.

 







4 comments:

  1. Wow! These are some gorgeous buttons!

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so lovely, what a gorgeous way to use those branches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely, and kudos for not using plastic! Next time we need to trim the front maples, I'd like to try it!

    ReplyDelete