Friday 3 May 2013

An Enchantment of Flower Fairies

 
 The Song of the Apple Blossom Fairies
By Cicely Mary Barker

Up in the tree we see you, blossom-babies,
All pink and white;
We think there must be fairies to protect you,
From frost and blight,
Until, some windy day, in drifts of petals,
You take your flight.

You'll fly away! But if we wait with patience,
Someday we'll find
Here, in your place, full-grown and ripe, the apples
You left behind-
A goodly gift indeed from blossom-babies,
To human-kind!

Here as promised are some fairies. I have slightly adapted my mermaid design into a fairy one, and have been busy making fairies all week. 

Apparently the group name for fairies is a herd (definitely not going to use that) or a frolic (quite like that name). But I have decided to invent my own collective noun, An Enchantment of Fairies. Perhaps it will catch on.


The Song of the Forget-Me-Not Fairy
By Cicely Mary Parker 
   So small, so blue, in grassy places
My flowers raise
Their tiny faces.

By streams my bigger sisters grow,
And smile in gardens,
In a row.

I've never seen a garden plot;
But though I'm small
Forget me not!

It may not be clear from the photos, but these fairies, and the mermaids from last week, are really tiny, about 6-7cm. Even taking these photos has been really tricky. The slightest breeze and the fairy has gone flying from the tree, or I have found the right flower, but in a dark dank corner of the garden.

I have tried to decorate the fairy dresses according to some of Cicely Mary Barker's Flower Fairy Poems, but I do not have all the flowers I have embroidered in my garden. So today I am setting off with my camera, and a little bag of fairy folk, in search of the flowers of some of the fairies I have not photographed yet. So if you see a strange women crawling round the bushes, that will probably be me ...   

The pattern is now available on ravelry. Just click on the link in my sidebar.

The Song of the Daisy Fairy
By Cicely Mary Parker

Come to me and play with me,
I'm the babies' flower;
Make a necklace gay with me,
Spend the whole long day with me,
Till the sunset hour.

I must say Good-night, you know,
Till tomorrow's playtime;
Close my petals tight, you know,
Shut the read and white, you know,
Sleeping till the daytime.
  


A small selection of my fairies and mermaids are available to buy in my Etsy Shop.

46 comments:

  1. The tiny dresses and your tiny fairies are cute:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! An enchantment of fairies, I like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they are so sweet!!! I think "enchantment of fairies" is the perfect group name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely fairies, their dresses are so cute!

    Jennifer
    flyingkfarmcsa.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple of years ago we made some needle felted fairies and left them in random places when we were on holiday (called Fairy-bombing!), I loved these knitted fairies and feel inspired to do some for when we go away this year.
    they are adorable, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fairies are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your enchantment of fairies with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope to see you again today!


      Delete
  7. These are just too cute. I love how you propped them with the flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous faires and the photos are amazing.

    Here's my FO: http://mibruno.com/terminado-osito/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your knitted fairies are so sweet. I like your work. The dresses are really lovely. Especially the flowers on the dresses.
    Best regards from Bavaria
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just TOO cute! How do you do it?!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So intricate. This must take you days to make. And I quite like an enchantment of fairies as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How adorable. My little nieces would love them! I admire your patience and creativity :-)
    http://thefourseasonsofbrona.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/saturday-snapshot-4th-may.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative! The flowers in the photos are pretty too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How clever of you, and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! and an enchantment sounds right to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely lovely. Great photographs too. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore the original Flower Fairies, and yours are beautiful too. However, a herd of fairies? That's just plain wrong isn't it? And enchantment sounds much better. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww they are so so gorgeous!! An enchantment of fairies is the perfect description as they are quite magical, particularly photographed amongst the flowers :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. great photos of the little fairies. Have a good crafting week

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're so, so cute. I love how you've photographed them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant. The apple blossom poem really hit home too - I am so hoping for a good year for tree fruits this year as last year was so poor. Could you leave her there for a bit longer please?

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so prettily photographed, I love the flowers you have chosen for each fairy. An Enchantment of Fairies is a lovely way of describing them :)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're very talented knitting faeries so small. My sister had the flower faeries books when she was little. They're inspiration to lots of makers.
    I hope the whole fairy enchantment find their flowers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooooh, I like your Enchantment of Fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are so cute, and the photos are qwonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  26. How lovely! I've always loved the flower fairies - my younger daughter's room had posters I managed to find until she was quite old. And how lucky you are to find flowers - spring is only just managing to appear here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The fairies are sooo cute. I love how you've incorporated different flowers for each design. I agree a herd of fairies would definitely not sound right. Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  28. How sweet - what patience you must possess.. Suex

    ReplyDelete
  29. Adorable little flower fairies! Gotta love those tiny little dresses.
    Luciana

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh how adorable ~ I love fairies and you have created them so well ~ Lovely post and great for Rurality ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your faeries, they are wonderful! And the prose to go with them too, lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. So cute. Quite surprised at how small they are. Much before the term enchantment of fairies rather than herd of fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So sweet! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just beautiful, such clever and intricate work.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh they are sooo cute. Wish I could make things like that.
    Thank you for sharing on the Spring Carnival.

    ReplyDelete