Sunday 26 August 2012

Watermelon Bag


I've finished sewing another bag, which I have given to my sister. I was a bit worried that she might not like the fabric, as it is a bit out there, but she seemed to really love it. This is the larger version of the Teardrop Bag, from the Amy Butler book. I lined it with a lime green fabric. The velvet that I used for the strap was really quite thick to sew through, and only just worked. I prefer the size of this bag, and because the top is wider I found it easier to sew.

Detail of the inside pocket and magnetic fastener

The shop where I bought the watermelon material had run out of magnetic fasteners. I usually pay 99p, but when I went to the only other haberdashery in town (in our large department store) one fastener would have cost £4.95. (So much for "never knowingly undersold"!) I had a bit of a fit, as it just seemed too much. So I had a look online, and found a really good site which sold them at a fraction of the price (£4.80 for 10 and even cheaper if you buy more), with no postage and next day delivery. I may never need to leave the house again.) The site I bought them from was http://www.bag-clasps.co.uk/Home_Page.php. I  thought they were a bit nicer than what I have bought elsewhere, as they have a slightly brassy, antique finish.





I am making these bags at the moment as gifts for my friends and relations, but also as a way to teach myself some bag making techniques.  Knitting is still really my thing. But eventually I do want to sell a few bags on my craft stall, but as so many bag patterns seem to forbid their sale, I have decided that the best way to avoid any problems is to design my own bags. So I wanted to ask other more experienced bag-makers out there a few questions: Do you design your own bags? Are there any patterns out there that do give permission for sales on a small scale? I would be really grateful for any advice, as it all seems a bit of a minefield.








13 comments:

  1. I've not used anybody else's patterns to make bags for sale as I haven't seen any that give permission, or more to the point do just what I want! I think once you've mastered a few techniques it's not so difficult to come up with your own ideas - having said that there's a limit to how different a bag can be.
    I quite often spend quiet moments at craft fairs watching the people go past and making notes about the features of the bags that attract me then go home and put the 'best' bits together.
    Good luck with the bag making, I think the watermelon one looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice when you find a bargain! The finish of your new bag clasps does look nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric. Bag looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bag. I bet your sister was thrilled to receive that gorgeous bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabric! I'm going to be making bag patterns (eventually!) and will be giving permission for small indie businesses to sell. You will probably find other indie designers who allow selling on craftsy.com - look for the patterns pages. You may find you can design your own once you have made a few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking bag! Velvet can be a real swine to sew, do you have a walking foot, use that and a slightly looser tension so that the fabric can move through evenly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this fabric! Good to hear you found a bargain too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so fun! and looks beautifully made too :)

    i bet you are everyones favourite person at the moment giving beautiful bags like this out! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the bag looks really well made and I am sure, you could easily include it on your craft stall. The watermellon fabric is really cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not help on patterns etc, since I just make things up (and don't sell stuff). Those are cute tho. And how did we ever get by without magnetic fasteners? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love watermelon and to have a watermelon bag would be fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thats a very juicy pattern! ideal for summer :)

    ReplyDelete