Saturday 22 February 2014

World War II - Evacuee

































My daughter has been studying World War II at school. They had a day recently when the children all went in dressed as evacuees. During the war lots of children were moved out of London, and other major cities that were at risk of bombing, to live in the relative safety of the countryside.
 

To put together this outfit we did a bit of hunting in charity shops. The dress is actually a women's top. As we were hunting for suitable clothes I  was getting some odd looks, as I was saying things like "Oh that won't do the colours are too modern." The hat though is mine.

11 comments:

  1. Your daughter looks very authentic. I love the beret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job of putting together an outfit that brings back those days. The name tag is the perfect touch! I'll bet it was fun going on a treasure hunt for the clothing. Have you tried printing the photos in black and white? That would really give a vintage feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a great idea. I've just made her a bit more vintage.

      Delete
  3. I'm most impressed by the outfit and the overall effect. Your daughter looks like she's in a WWII movie set. Above all, I'm so glad that children get to learn about history and WWII era. I think this must be one of the differences between UK and our North American education. We here just don't have enough of history ed., too focused on the 'modern' and technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job with the custome
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea, certainly give children a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job picking clothes that fit the time period! Your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... like she stepped back in time! Brilliant, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a brilliant costume. I used to love days like this when I was at school :) I remember once we had to dress up as Victorian children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, impressive! She looks adorable in this. And although it is appropriate for the theme, I think she could pull this off as a regular outfit these days for a little hipster :). Very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks great.What a good idea to use a top for the dress,it really does look the part.Love the hat too!

    ReplyDelete