Friday 21 February 2020

Gardening Diary February


After a lot of rainy days, we have finally managed to get out and do some gardening. And as it looks like the rain will be back soon, we have been gardening all day. 

First I wanted to show you how well the rhubarb is doing. In fact I was so happy we have got another crown from the garden centre. This new one is called Victoria, and has an upturned plant pot covering it.

I spent most of the day working on the herb patch.  I did a lot of clearing of last years growth, and it is encouraging to see a lot of new growth starting underneath. I can recognise quite a few of the herbs: oregano, fennel, sage ... But one of the bushes I did not know, and had to do a but of searching online. This is the bush before, and I think it is cotton lavender. It looked good, but it says that you need to prune back hard, or it will go leggy and shapeless.


So this is what it looks like now.  I do hope I have done the right thing.  We also cleared a lot of ivy in the herb bed, and inside the polytunnel, which now looks all ready for some new plants. Decided to give up on the strawberry plants, as we don't know how old they are, and will get some new ones.


I also did a little bit of actual planting. I bought some onion sets quite a few weeks ago, and they have started to grow in the bag. So I have planted them out. I think it may be a bit early, as we could still have frost or even snow, but will just have to see. They are red onions, called Electric.

The other thing that I was hoping to plant are jerusalem artichokes. They are something that we grew before when we had an allotment, and were very easy, and very tasty. But none of the garden centres seem to have any tubers, so I have bought some on ebay, and hope they may come before I have to go back to London. So not much news, but I think when I report back in March there will be a lot more going on.

https://ginxcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/ginx-woolly-linx-party-march.html

Just a reminder that there is still plenty of time left to join in my Ginx Woolly Linx party for Feburary. Click on the photo above or at the top of the page to find the party. I would love to see what you have been working on this month.






No comments:

Post a Comment