Thursday 18 June 2020

Gardening Diary June


I am writing this back in town. Very strange being back in our little flat, just me and my daughter who has 2 days back at school.  It has been very rainy since we came back, so it is rather to easy to be thinking of sunny country days, but it is also bad weather there too. I have entrusted the watering to my son, and hope my husband may be able to keep on top of the weeds.

So above is a close up of the peas. They started off rather weakly, but some have struggled through. And below are the courgettes and sweetcorn, which I have planted out, and am trying to water a lot. They may look a bit yellow, but there are flowers growing. Quite a few of our plants look like they need more nutrition, so we have been digging in bone meal and a seaweed fertiliser, and perhaps next year might have to get some manure.



A few more photos below, with the potatoes (which did all recover from the frost), and Jerusalem artichokes and broad beans. The broad beans are a bit of a worry, as I feel they should be a lot taller than they are, and have spotted a few blackfly aphids. I am spraying them with dilute washing up liquid each evening, as I don't want to start with the chemicals.



After our runner bean disaster with the late frost, we started again, and planted some beans that were from last year's crop that we found in a pot in the polytunnel. Not all of them came up, but the ones that did look really great. But we only had enough for one wigwam. The others have my sweet pea flowers, and a climbing flower called morning glory that I started off from seeds.



In the polytunnel the tomatos are doing great, and we also have some small pepper and cucumber plants. I think they may be a little behind, so we will have to see. Also below you can see the grape vine, and my armchair where I can go and shelter if it starts to rain.



And finally the photo below shows the polytunnel from the outside with the herb area around it. At the back are some fruit bushes, which we now think are red currents, not black as I had originally thought.




http://ginxcraft.blogspot.com/2020/05/ginx-woolly-linx-party-june.html

Just a reminder that there is still time left to join in my Ginx Woolly Linx party for June. Click on the photo above or at the top of the page to find the party. I would love to see what you have been working on this month.


1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    very great garden post.
    i have also a garden tour on my blog.
    many greetings
    Uwe

    ReplyDelete