Wednesday 15 July 2020

Gardening Diary July


July really does seem the time to start reaping all that effort from the previous months. Picking the fruit has really taken me back to my childhood where a lot of time was spent picking raspberries that grew wild in the woods in west Scotland. It would be lovely to have a few sunnier days, but I am thankful for the rain which makes my evening watering a bit easier. There may be a bit of a clue here as to why the crafting has been slower than usual.

So this month I am just going to show you a few pictures of the fruit and veg we have grown. The successful fruit has been gooseberries, raspberries, red currants and cherries, and I have been busy jam making, as well as some puddings. Gooseberry icecream and cordial were yummy, as well as a cherry pie. There are still plenty of apples and blackberries, so I may well have some more jam making.




We are also now starting to get some vegetables. I love the courgettes, although rest of family are not as keen. And we are now able to pick the broadbeans and peas. I am still hopeful for the carrots, runner beans, french beans and sweetcorn, and the squash plants are doing okay. I planted out some broccoli seedlings, which all got eaten, and some cauliflower seeds straight into the ground, which seem also to be eaten as soon as they come up.


Unfortunately my last remaining melon plants did not survive, and I still feel that the soil needs more nutrition. So we now have two bags of manure to dig in before I plant the pumpkins out.

But in the polytunnel the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are all looking hopeful. We are also excited about the growning grapes on the vine, although have no idea what sort of grapes they are. The cucumber plants below seem to grow almost as you watch them.


I almost forgot to mention flowers. The sunflowers now have buds. I also planted a wildflower mix, but the only ones to survive are poppies and the forget-me-nots. I am going to move the forget-me-nots nearer the house, and am hoping they might self-seed for next year. My sweet peas are not doing very well, just one flower so far, and they don't quite look like Monty Don's.



We haven't planted the whole of the vegetable patch, so are thinking of some ideas for next year. I really would like some more asparagus, as the one plant we have was great fun. Also black currant bushes would be nice. Very much for plants that will just be there. Would welcome any suggestions of things for fairly novice gardeners.

I like this view, as you can see the block of sweetcorn, and the sunflowers on the left.

http://ginxcraft.blogspot.com/2020/05/ginx-woolly-linx-party-june.html

Just a reminder that there is still time left to join in my Ginx Woolly Linx party for July. Click on the photo above or at the top of the page to find the party. I would love to see what you have been working on this month.




No comments:

Post a Comment