Sunday 7 May 2023

Socks and Ethical Knitting

I have finally finished the socks that I have been making for a few weeks. I made an impulse wool purchase near the till in a wool shop, just because I liked the look of the wool. Did you know that the little flecks of colour in the wool are called neps?

The wool is made from 100% recycled plastic. Unfortunately I cannot find the band, but if it turns up I will let you know the maker. I am hoping it will be nice and hard-wearing. I am not sure how I feel about this wool. I am pleased if wool-makers are recycling plastic rather than it going to landfill. But, unless eventually I ensure the material in my socks is recycled, I also wonder if this is just delaying the microfibres getting into the environment. 

Just been clicking around the web and found some articles about sustainability, and recycling materials in fashion. The Guardian and The Ethical Consumer. Really interesting articles, which sort of make me think I am right. It says the demand for recycled plastics is outstripping the supply, and some manufacturers include a small percentage of recycled plastics and label their products as sustainable. I guess that makes my 100% plastic socks slightly better, that a mixed wool, that would be impossible to recycle later. But then the sustainability of the wool really depends on many factors - the power and water used to produce it, the distance it has travelled etc.

I seem to have gone down a whole rabbit-warren here. Perhaps the two issues about the ethics of wool (the plastics in it, and the carbon footprint) are really quite separate. It is hard when you want to do the right thing environmentally. If anyone has views about how to be "an ethical knitter" I would love to hear them. My husband has just said that he thinks the best way is to use wool you love, and then you will make the garments last a long time. I think I have just been told to go shopping!

The pattern I used is called Elegant Simplicity Socks by Brigidsmomma on ravelry, and is toe-up, which I always prefer if I have a limited amount of wool.  It was quite an easy knit, and I am not quite sure why it has taken me so long.  Really not keen on my chubby ankles, but I do like the wool.


 

2 comments:

  1. When I saw the image of these socks, I was immediately drawn to them as it looked like glitter, and I just love anything with glitter on it. Such a lovely yarn! I had no idea the speckles were called neps - so interesting!

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful and interesting issues your addressed here, yikes! thanks for sharing on craft schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete