Sunday 18 August 2013

Embroidery Pincushions


I have been saying for a few weeks that I was going to do a post on some hand embroidered pincushions I have been making.


This was my first attempt. I really like plants like cow parsley, or any plants that have a nice round seed head. I cut up a very old, partially felted, jumper to embroider on, but have decided shop bought felt may work out better. Although it doesn't really show in the photo it was a bit lumpy. The French knots is one of my favourite stitches, and have been thinking of other flowers that I could sew with knots.  

This is my version on shop bought felt. I wanted the cushions to have depth, but sewing a heart shape like this was much harder than I imagined.


Here are the bluebells that I showed before ...



And the final one is a dandelion clock. It has some clear beads sewn on too.





They have a few imperfections, so they are not heading for Etsy. I will keep them for a craft fair, as I feel more comfortable selling them in person.

My plan for the coming week is to get to grips with machine embroidery. My only previous attempt of a Butterfly I felt was too constrained. I enclosed everything with neat zigzags. I want to be able to paint with the thread, and it have that lovely free look. 

There are some blogs featuring machine embroidery that I really admire: one of the best is Sweet Birdy Love. The embroidery are works of art. I look at the beautiful work and think I'd just love to be able to make something half as nice. So I have a reel of machine embroidery thread, and am going to lower those feed dogs and just go for it.

Sorry about not commenting last week on Handmade Monday. We only got internet by sitting in one particular place in the garden in France.

32 comments:

  1. The red heart in particular is very nice. I know what you mean though about selling some items in person - I do that with some things as at least the buyer can see them and hold them and decide. I think I will check out the machine embroidery blog too as I have been promising myself I would give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh, they are beautiful! ?they are all gorgeous, but I really do like the red heart, oh and the blue one and the green one..... Hope you have a good week.

    Jill, Christmas Pie Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all lovely and they look all the better for their slight imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is lovely. Seed heads are lovely and your sewing is beautiful. Surely handmade is all about slight imperfections?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cow parsley pin cushion is beautiful. I remember trying to embroider something similar on a bag years ago and didn't make half as good a job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The designs are really pretty. I really like the depth the pincushions have. I hope you had a lovely time in France. I think sometimes we need a break from technology. Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are so gorgeous, its hard to pick a favourite! I think perhaps the dandelion takes it, i just love the effect of adding the clear beads.

    I know what you mean about feeling more comfortable selling things in person, although i only really sell online i often think i'd be happier if customers could really see and touch what they were getting first.

    p.s. i love your header photo today, you could so go down the postcard/greeting card route with your beautiful nature pics if you wanted to! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. very sweet little pincushions

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your pincushions are adorable, I've been thinking about getting back into embroidery by hand for a while, but not sure what to 'do' with it - you've given me some ideas to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dandelion clock - and the bluebells! Thanks for your comment.
    In a Pickle

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dandelion cushion is gorgeous. Such beautiful embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, these are adorable! The dandelion clock is my favourite. Unusually for me, I do prefer the shop bought felt too (I'm usually more of an upcycling kinda crafting gal) - have you thought about putting the jumper on a more aggressive machine cycle to even it up? Or ot the look you're going for? I felted a 90% wool men's jumper on short 60 cycle and whilst the resulting felt is very thick (which is what I needed but may not suit your purposes) it's also very evenly finished...?

    I only discovered machine embruidery recently too but I reckon it's the most feed dog free fun you can have ;) Enjoy yourself and go bananas! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww - they're gorgeous! I love the dandelion one :-) Good luck with the machine embroidery! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pincushions look brilliant. I love the purple cow parsley one. That's one of the plants I enjoy seeing when out on the occasional countryside walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're beautiful. I love the blue one xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very lovely, such a fun idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pincushions are very pretty. I really like the dandelion clock :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty I love the purple and the danelion ones, I just learnt how to make a french knot this morning, in order to puts some spot on a crocheted lady bird.
    Clare x
    http://summerhousebythesea.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Came over from KCCO to say hello. These are absolutely adorable! I love how you added beadwork to the mix. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are very talented indeed and have a fine eye for detail!
    Amazing work as always :)
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! I love how you did the dandelion with the beads.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are divine- so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are so gorgeous - I really admire your flower and plant embroidery :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are lovely. I admire your embroidery skills. I wish I knew how to do such fine needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your handwork and I love nature. You've combined the 2 beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are lovely. I'm finding myself more and more interested in embroidery. I've has a go at thread sketching with my machine and found it easier than I though. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are gorgeous. I would like to learn to embroidery like that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely pincushions! I like French Knots too although I haven't mastered the art of making them all the one, regular size : -) What about hydrangeas using French Knots?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely collection :))

    ReplyDelete
  30. So sweet, love the green one! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete