Monday 14 April 2014

Vintage Caravans

I've been mulling over this idea for a while. A knitted vintage caravan. Henrietta my 2CV was a curvy car, and that led me to think if I could knit some other curvacious vehicles. Knitting doesn't really lend itself to being angular. What is more curvy that a vintage caravan?


I thought this caravan would make either a really cute toy or ornament, or perhaps be useful as a pincushion. But the pattern also contains instructions for a simpler version where you only knit one side and make it into a keyring for your caravan keys. These few will be for sale in my Etsy shop. I think they are so cute and would now quite like my own vintage caravan.


When I think of a new idea for a knit, I normally go through a similar process. I do a very quick look on the knitting websites to see if anyone has already had my idea. If there are lots of really good patterns, I usually stop then. What can I add to this? But with my vintage caravan I really couldn't find anyone who has knitted anything quite like this. (Apologies if I have missed someone's brilliant knit.) Then if there are a very few, or no patterns, I say hurrah!  Although this may mean that I am designing things that are so quirky very few people want to knit them. I would love to be able to come up with something that is both quirky, unique, and popular. But "chin up" I say. Caravans are one of the popular things I can think of, and who does not love a retro vintage caravan


The pattern designing process then usually involves me sitting and knitting with a notepad by side. I then type up a first version, and after that I amend, and amend and amend ... But I always feel a lot happier when I have that first typed draft, even if I know I am going to have to alter and change a lot. 


These caravans are knitted with doubleknit, and quite a fine needle 2.5mm. This was because I wanted all the pieces to be firm, so the overall caravan wouldn't bulge too much. Everything is knitted on two needles (even the wheels). The finished caravan is quite small (8cm long and 7.5 cm tall). I am thinking of knitting a little car that would be to scale and could go infront.


25 comments:

  1. Yet another fabulous knitted creation. I really do take my hat off to you as I wouldn't know where to start in designing a knitting pattern, yet you seem to do it with such ease xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these knitted caravans. They are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genial!!! I looooove all what you create!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Easter!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best! Oh I love this one. Beautiful work, as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am so impressed they are a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love these! I am impressed with the way you can have an idea, knit it and put it on paper. I could never do that! Stopping by from Frontier Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely do a car, these are ace! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love!
    This has been the week for adorable creations. Now I want to go camping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your caravans, as a keen caravanner this is just the sort of thing that would be ideal as a gift for Himself x

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are very cute and collectable. I admire you knitting with a very fine needle - I just don't have the patience for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are lovely! We're about to sell our caravan so they make me feel a bit nostalgic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute idea, loving the 3d caravan x amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous - and caravans are very popular things so I'm sure they'll be in great demand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are sooooo gorgeous! I just know this pattern will be a big hit, caravans are v popular aren't they. It must be a lovely feeling to create a pattern that others will doubtless be really excited to have found :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, your patterns just keep getting cuter and cuter. I love the keyring idea especially.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the caravan keyring for your caravan keys. You are so clever with your patterns. :)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think they are fabulous. Why not contact the caravan club, I bet they woul be happy to feature a letter and picture in their magazine, and if you have a big site near you it might be a good outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. how unique and unusual this caravan is! i love how you always come up with so amazing knitted shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. BRILLIANT!! I LOVE IT! -- You can park IT out behind your other little cottages...
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these. Im tempted to purchase one of the key rings to put my camper key on! Im giving It a lot of thought! Your knitted stuff is lovely. I wish I knew how to knit. I can only crochet. Thanks for sharing.!! Come over to my blog and visit soon and you can check out my etsy shop too!! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! I would love to have a few to sell in my RV Park gift shop!!!! They remind me of a little scamp or cassita :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love them!!!! I would so love to have a few to sell in our rv park gift shop!!! I am going to have to go check them out! They remind me of a little Scamp or Cassita :)

    ReplyDelete