Saturday 22 November 2014

Vintage Transport

It is strange that once you become interested in something it seems to pop up all over the place. I went on a trip with my class a few weeks ago to the London Transport Museum. We had great fun designing posters and looking around the museum, but as children from school have crept into nearly every photo I don't have permission to publish any of them here.

But then I remembered that at the end of the summer me and my daughter took some photos at a vintage bus rally near us. The best bit was travelling from our town on the "vintage bus" to the rally.

This was the bus we travelled on.

There were lots of other buses once we got there.


What I found a bit unsettling was that the vintage buses did not seem that different from the buses I used to travel to work on not so long ago. The sound of the engine instantly took me back to those days, and is quite different on the whooshy sound you get on a bus today. I spent a lot of time sitting on a No 9 from Hammersmith into central London.

There were a few vintage trains too.



I like this photo, because you really get a feel of the buzz around the buses as they brought in more people.

14 comments:

  1. We used to have double decker buses as school buses in my childhood Australia. I walked to and from school most of the time, but we would take them to sport or on excursions. Modern buses just don't have the same charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old buses. What fun! Have a great weekend, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the vintage buses and trains make me feel nostalgic...thanks for sharing! Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Photos! I kept looking down to see the purple bus that was in the Harry Potter film. The event looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! I remember the route-master buses, I used to travel to work on those. The green line ran outside London and was a special treat to visit family in Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun event! I love the bright colors of the buses, with the advertisements on them adding even more bling. You did a great job of capturing a fun day in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my fondest memories of my time in London is the double decker buses.
    Lovely to see some of the vintage ones being well cared for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I have gone to some great events which I wanted to show off at my blog. Alas, just as you realized, too many children were part of the photos. Well, buses work too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, that brought back memories.... red London double deckers... and the Greeenlines which ran our of London on the 'country' routes... I can even remember the numbers - the 441 (green) and the 117 (red)! My Snapshot, which is very late, is at http://chriscross53.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/mushroomy-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish we still had trains. When the oil boom started in Texas, all the passenger trains were disassembled in favor of the more economically lucrative car traffic.

    Here's my Sunday Salon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a really fun event! Modern buses just don't have the same character as these lovely shiny old ones! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun! Those buses are all so very cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice outing, I loved the Glasgow Museum for Transport when I went there..such a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete