Saturday 11 June 2022

Modern Knitting Illustrated and A Little Trip to Brighton

Last weekend I went on a little trip to Brighton with my daughter. She is going to study fashion and business studies there next year. On the first day we mooched around the town, sat on the beach, went and looked at the halls of residence on her short list (imagining what it would be like to live in each one), went to see the graduates show from this year (very impressive), and tried to soak up the atmosphere. 
 
I think it was well worth doing, as she is even more excited than before about starting her course. She has now heard she has a place in the halls she was hoping for, and also I will be able to picture her there.

On the second day we decided to go to a boot fair near Brighton Marina. I was really pleased with my £1 purchase, of Modern Knitting Illustrated by Jane Koster and Margaret Murray.
 
 
Published in 1948 this little unassuming little book contains over 60 knitting and crochet patterns, and although I doubt I will make anything from it, as most are 3ply or even 2ply, I have got a lot of pleasure looking at the patterns.


Apart from the design I also find some of the captions amusing. The girls in the pictures above and below are described as "smart girls". I'm not sure if this means they look smart, or that they are smart for making their own clothes.


This opera top "looked pretty enough to add to a trousseau".

 
This scarf and glove set reminded me of my Dad, who always wore a trilby hat until he retired, when he moved on to a flat cap. The caption says "the gay colour scheme would please most men".

 
And this hat and glove set remined me of Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter.

 
Just a few pictures from the many in this book. 
 
I didn't take many photos (as I have been told that my constant photography can be a bit annoying!), but here is a friendly herring gull from the beach, and we did a little detour to see The Long Man of Wilmington. The two little figures in the foreground show the size of this figure carved in the chalk downs.




 

2 comments:

  1. Out blog walking this morning, it's always fun to meet new bloggers. Loved the old timey pictures from your book. Like you, I would enjoy the pictures and captions, but not make anything from it. What's the story behind the figure in the chalk downs? It's rather strange looking and so I wonder what it means or what it represents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those captions are fabulous! Not sure I fancy a knitted petticoat thing for my trousseau but each to their own eh? :-D

    ReplyDelete