Sunday 4 September 2022

Cushions and the Cat

 

A few weeks ago I showed a piece of 1950s curtain fabric, which I has bought from Penny Baker Vintage in Tavistock market to make some cushions. Finally the cushions are made, and these are just two of the four cushions. I love them. Although genuine old fabric, I don't think that they were ever hung as curtains, as there was no fading on it at all.


 
The backs were made from some linen material bought from Soft Touch Needlecraft. I liked this colour, and wanted to make as many cushions as I could from the 1950s fabric.
 
But although I had intended these cushions to be for the kitchen, I haven't quite brought myself to put them out yet. Mainly because of my cat, who is a little old lady now. Despite having two lovely soft baskets, she likes to hang out in the kitchen, and will sit on anything soft. I keep finding her having made herself all comfy on the oven glove. And although I think she is fairly healthy, and still brings us home the gift of the odd mouse, she is occasionally sick. Although I am not overly house proud, I just can't bear the thought of the cushions having to go through the wash straight away. So for the moment they are still by the sewing machine. But last winter there was a point when she decided to spend most of her time in the airing cupboard. So that may be when the cushions come out. Am I turning into the sort of person who keeps plastic covers on their sofa? Possibly.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. cute pincushions :0) I like this 50´s fabric and the backing, too...perhaps should you sew one pincushion extra for the old lady :0) beautiful cat....hugs from Denamrk, Ulrike :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitty is adorable! And I love the colorful cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun, good for you for using the fabric,I tend to hoard it and never use it! thanks for sharing last week on craft schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete