Saturday 24 September 2022

Granny Square Cardigan

Finally the granny square jacket for my daughter is made, and she has left for her course studying fashion in Brighton. I wrote previously about when I started making the squares for the granny chique look. It was a close thing getting it finished, with me running in ends up to the night before she left. Will it get worn? I'm not sure, although she is planning to join the surf club, and I can imagine her sitting on the beach in it after a swim. I would really quite like one for myself, maybe in more muted colours, but will take a break from crochet for a while.

It really did take a lot of work making it. I had the idea to try and make the squares look a bit like a stained glass window, but after joining a few by just sewing together with black wool, I realised that they really needed a black crochet edge. Also that gave it a much baggier look. The sleeves, neck and button bands, and bottom rib are knitted. My crochet skills really weren't up to improvising those parts. 

So feeling a bit sad at the moment, but hoping she will have lots of exciting times.



2 comments:

  1. It's fabulous Ginny! There is a lot of crochet on catwalks and in the young people's shops at the moment so I'm sure she'll wear it lots. I made a granny square jumper last year and my daughter admired it so much she then made herself one. It's tough when they go isn't it? You want them to pop back now and again for hugs, but if they don't come home too much it means they are happy which is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, I'm sure she will wear it! thanks for sharing on craft schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete