Saturday 24 February 2024

North Ronaldsay Wool

Did you know that North Ronaldsay sheep have a diet that is primarily seaweed? I learned that a few weeks ago, and so thought that a background of seaweed would be a nice way to photograph Blacker Yarns new North Ronaldsay wool. This is a lovely 100% pure wool. I am planning to buy some myself, for a new jumper for my husband, who is keen to have a Norweigan fisherman's jersey. I had better get a move on, as I can see orders flying in.

No trip to the Orkney Islands, but we set off to our nearest beach in Bude. I was down in the rockpools looking for a good seaweedy spot, when my husband pointed out that the frothy brown liquid that was all around us would not be a good look for the photos. Quite appalled that a beach in a town that relies on tourism and was teaming with people, it was half-term, could be in this state. Later that week I watched a tv programme Joe Lycett vs Sewage, and it seems this is problem everywhere.

So we hastily left, and decided to go to Duckpool Beach a little further north. We got to the turning, and there was a Flood Sign, "but that could have been there for ages", I said. A bit further down the lane we realised the road really was flooded, so we reversed back up the country lane.

Third attempt we went to Sandymouth Bay, and finally success. Beautiful clean beach, not many people, with lots of lovely seaweed on the rocks. Although a bit overexposed, I love this photo of the beach, as it gives the feel of the wind and the sun, and the space between the people.



 

1 comment:

  1. Stunning photo so interesting about those sheep! thanks for sharing on craft schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete