Friday 22 March 2024

Cottage Garden Hot Water Bottle Pattern (and Kit)

I have been busy designing a hot water bottle pattern, using the lovely soft Samite Silk Blend wool from Blacker Yarns, where I work. You can buy the pattern later today in my shops on Etsy, Ravelry and LoveKnitting when I have uploaded them. 

The pattern is designed for DK wool, and there are instructions for two sizes, and information on how to fairly easily adapt it for other sizes of hot water bottle. It also has charts for two flower designs - tulips or poppies.

If you want to buy the pattern and wool as a project kit this is available on the Blacker Yarns website. I think it would make a lovely gift for any knitter who wants to dip their toe into fair isle knitting. It is a fairly easy introduction, as you are only ever working with two yarns at once.


My husband has just told me it is not the time for hot water bottles, but I have pointed out to him that we are only one little bit of the world. I am sure there are places where it is cold. In an effort to save on the heating bill I have frequently sat hugging a hot water bottle this winter.

You can see in the background of the photos below The Lost Flock by Jane Cooper. This is a really interesting read about the history of Boreray sheep, as well as her own personal story of a move from the northeast of England to the Orkney Islands, where she became a sheep farmer with her own flock of this rare breed.


2 comments:

  1. First, I apologies for my bad written English. In this Saturday morning 1 week before Easter, in Paris, Fr, let me tell you you’re perfectly right, this morning, it’s chilly and windy as if Thursday we were in tee-shirts….
    Thank you so much for your great cover “bouillotte”. I love these special bottles, and I am ready to knit your tulips one.
    Happy week end, Easter, and spring.
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, it would make such a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete