Sunday 15 October 2023

Hawthorn Berry Jelly

 
There seem to be more than usual hawthorn berries around this year. Is that a sign it will be a cold winter? So I decided I would have a go at making some hawthorn jelly. I used this recipe from Practical Self Reliance.

I am not sure why my hawthorn berries were not particular juicy, but it took me three colanders before I thought I had enough juice to add the sugar. In the end I made this single jar of hawthorn jelly. Plenty of hawthorn berries were left for the birds.


And now I can hear the rose hips calling to me. Recipes say they will be juicier if you wait until you have had a light frost, which we haven't yet, so I am trying to be patient.



2 comments:

  1. I've never picked hawthorn berries, I tend to limit my foraging to blackberries and very occasional elderberries. I'm curious to know what this tastes like? Do you use it like a jam or does it accompany some sort of meat? I look forward to seeing what you make with rose hips too, but only when the time is right of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wonderful! Thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete