Sunday 15 October 2023

Walking the Tamara Way

My son and I have decided to walk the Tamara Coast to Coast Way. A route following the River Tamar, with a few detours, from the south coast of Cornwall and Devon to the north. The River Tamar is the border between the two counties. We are planning to do it in eight sections over a few weeks. 

I have been posting photos on my personal facebook page, but then thought why not do some posts here. We are doing the walk in a stage each week, and picking days with nice weather. 

For the first stage my husband kindly drove us to the start at St. Cremyll, did half the walk, and then walked back to the beginning to get the car to meet us at the end Totally exhausted and put off by a rain shower, we did not quite finish all of stage one as written in our guide book, but made it across the Torpoint ferry.

I have my camera with me, and with the aim of getting on with the walk I am trying only to photograph large scenic views, not every leaf and petal, which apparently is a bit annoying in a long walk, when I find myself left behind. 

Setting off from St. Cremyll Beach

Passing Empacombe Garden gate

View acros the estuary to Plymouth

View from Millbrook Lake Dam

View from the Torpoint ferry

View from the ferry of the ferry going in the other direction
 

The second stage of the walk we had a bit of catching up to do. This time we got the train to Devonport, which was an adventure itself. My son was very insistent that we return to the exact spot where we ended last time, and I guess (grudgingly) he is right.

Walking out of Plymouth was a bit of a slog, with our first highpoint being the views of the Tamar rail and road bridges at Saltash Passage.
 
Tamar rail and road bridges

Detail of the rail bridge built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
 
The bridges from the other side
 
It was a walk of bridges and crossings, as our walk along the Tamar and then Tavy shores took us under the Tamerton Bridge, which we had earlier crossed on the train.
 
Tamerton Bridge
 
Eventually we made it to the Lopwell Dam, which is quite a narrow stone walkway, that can only be done when the tide is low. This crosses the River Tavy, a tributary of the River Tamar. Very proud that with some handholding I made it across. A photo of us crossing would be hysterical.
 
 
From Bere Ferrers Quay

We walked much further than last time, and despite being exhausted we walked up the hill from the quay to Bere Ferrers railway station, our starting point for the next stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment