Sunday 29 October 2023

Sloe Syrup

I have been looking at the sloes in the hedges around the field for some time now, and trying not to get ahead of myself and pick them too soon. Some books say wait until you have had a frost, but we are quite mild here, so that might be a while. But the other day I noticed that quite a few were starting to shrivel, and looked a bit like raisins, so decided it was time to pick.

My son and me both picked a colander, so we had about 3kg between us. Although I have made sloe gin other years, I decided this year it might be better to make sloe syrup. We could put this in gin, but it might also be nice to have on porridge, or yoghurt, or even icecream. It is meant to be packed full of vitamin C and antioxidants, so hopefully will ward off any winter colds.


3 comments:

  1. This is totally new to me, never heard of 'sloe'. I will have to do some digging to learn more
    I visited you via Handmade Monday #348
    I linked up this week with = Malva Pudding with a Sauce Twist and Waffle Cone Flake Cheesecake Cones. Come and join us Mon - Saturday at SeniorSalonPitStop as well as #WordlessWednesday #Photography Wednesday - Saturday. You will find the info under BLOGGING

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sloe are the fruit of the blackthorn. It is fairly common in hedges in the UK. Not sure where you are but wikipedia says it is common in Europe, western Asia, northwest African and eastern USA, and Tasmania!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing great to see you on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete